The B. Ed. TESL (Hons.) Programme is tailored to the needs of producing knowledgeable, skillful and qualified Bumiputera teachers, in line with the effort to help upgrade the teaching and learning of English in secondary schools and institutions of higher learning in Malaysia. To achieve this objective, the programme is structured based on various areas of education, knowledge competence in the English Language, current methods of teaching and learning as well as teaching practices. The duration of the programme in the full mode is 8 semesters or 4 years. However, students possessing relevant diploma or equivalent qualifications are entitled to apply for exemptions or credit transfer, which enables them to graduate in less than the stipulated time.
Why Join Us?
The Faculty of Education has been offering the B. Ed. TESL Programme since 1997. The graduates of the Programme have always been in demand in the teaching and learning (both public and private institutions) and other English language related fields such as broadcasting, journalism, editing and translation.
The program has also been known to be highly desirable for these reasons:
- 16 years of experience and tradition (established since 1997)
- Good location: Section 17 Campus, Shah Alam, Selangor
- Conducive English language environment that equips students for their future career
- Affordable tuition and accommodation fees
- Nurture well-rounded students who possess 21st Cenyury skills inculcated through fun yet challenging students’ activities
- Highly valuable student support and financial aid
- Closely-knit community and cultural diversity
Exclusively, the TESL programs in the faculty of Education has given birth to an extremely dynamic student club named EtHoS! The clubs have been highly active in promoting cultural experience like movie screenings, book circles and drama activities, as well as using such cultural experiences as a platform to perform public service activities. Recently the club has become popular among the local educational industry too, as professional applied drama trainers (called Mavericks), who provides drama-based workshops or programs that promote language awareness or mastery, motivation and teamwork, which made them entrepreneurial students.
"Ethos! is a body of internal association under the Faculty of Education for TESL program in UiTM Shah Alam. 'Ethos' is a name derived from the Greek meaning 'personality' to describe the guiding beliefs or ideals that characterize a community, nation or ideology. But in this context, it is an association where all of the students are ever-helpful, care for each other and work together to strive for the best for the faculty and nation."
The following are some activities that have been conducted by EtHoS!:
- EtHoS! Movie Circle
- Minimalist Theatre Competition
- EtHoS! Alfresco 2.0
- Spelling Bee Competition
Interested candidates who wish to join this programme are required to fulfill the following conditions:
- STPM with 3 principal passes including Kertas Am or Pengajian Am and a subsidiary pass in one other subject
- OR Teacher’s Training College diplomas/Certificates with 5 years experience in teaching English or 7 years teaching experience
- OR Diploma from UiTM or other recognized institutions with a minimum C.G.P.A. or 2.50
- OR ASASI TESL certificate from UiTM with a minimum CGPA of 2.50
- OR Ministry of Education matriculation certificate with a minimum C.G.P.A. of 3.00
- AND SPM/SPMV with credits in English Language (minimum 2A) Bahasa Melayu, Mathematics and credits in 2 other subjects AND
- MUET (minimum Band 4) AND Pass the MEDSI (Malaysian Educators Selection Inventory) written test, physical test, and interview conducted by the Ministry of Higher Education.
Career / Studying Prospects
Graduates of the programme can serve as English instructors in government and private secondary schools or seek employment in the fields of journalism, publishing, broadcasting, advertising and training. In spite of the common misconception that the TESL students from the Faculty of Education, UiTM are mostly to become teachers, in reality, there are many alumni who had become singers, artists, writers, journalists, novelist and entrepreneurs.
FOR FUTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT
B.Ed TESL Programme
Faculty of Education
Universiti Teknologi MARA
Campus Section 17
42000 Shah Alam, Selangor
Tel : 03-55227395 Fax : 03-55227412