Program Code : ED220 / ED241
MQA Accredited S/N : KP.S (PT) 7281/3/Jld. IV (10)
Total Credit Hours : 134
Duration of Study : 4 Years / 8 Semesters
Estimated Cost of Study : RM 5,200 (approx. RM 600 per semester)
The B. Ed. TESL (Hons.) Programme is tailored to the needs of producing knowledgeable, skillful and qualified Bumiputera teachers, in line with the effort to help upgrade the teaching and learning of English in secondary schools and institutions of higher learning in Malaysia. To achieve this objective, the programme is structured based on various areas of education, knowledge competence in the English Language, current methods of teaching and learning as well as teaching practices. The duration of the programme in the full mode is 8 semesters or 4 years. However, students possessing relevant diploma or equivalent qualifications are entitled to apply for exemptions or credit transfer, which enables them to graduate in less than the stipulated time.
Study Plan / Structure
|Semester 1||.....||Semester 2||.....||Semester 3|
|Islamic & Asian Civilization||Sejarah Malaysia||English for Critical Academic Reading|
|Kesatria Negara 1||Ko-Kurikulum 2||Third Language (Various Choices)|
|History & Philosophy in Education||LiSociology in Education||Ko-Kurikulum 3|
|Introduction to Guidance and Counselling||Instructional Technology
||Principles of Entrepreneurship|
|Literature in English||Literature in Malaysian Schools||Educational Psychology|
|Linguistics in Language Teaching||Principles and Practices in ELT||Field Experience|
|Structure of English (Syntax)||Applied Phonetics & Phonology|
|Literature & Media|
|Literature for Children & Young Adults|
|Semester 4||Semester 5||Semester 6|
|English for Professional Interaction||Third Language 3||Classroom Management|
|Third Language 2||Introduction to Research Methods||Basic Data Analysis|
|Principles of Assessment & Evaluation||Methodology in Teaching Reading||Co-Curriculum Management|
|Curriculum & Instruction||Methodology in Teaching Grammar||Second Language Acquisition|
|Methodology in Teaching Literature||Applied Sociolinguistics||Methodology in Teaching Writing|
|Methodology in Teaching Listening & Speaking||Teaching English through Drama||Asian Literature|
|Critical Appreciation of Poetry & Prose||Creative Writing||Introduction to Shakespeare|
|Semester 7||Semester 8|
|Practicum (Industrial Training)||Professional Development|
|Current Issues in Education|
|Computer Assisted Language Learning|
|Women in Literature|
Why Join Us?
Since July 2007, the Asasi TESL Programme offered by the Faculty of Education UiTM, has received high demands from SPM (or O-level) leavers and parents. Every year a total of 1000 applications are received from but limited places are offered and the program graduates has always been hot prospects for all degree programs, with all the other Public Research Universities’ being interested in them
The program has also been known to be highly desirable for these reasons:
- 16 years of experience and tradition (established since 1997).
- Good locations for 3 campuses; UiTM Melaka, Kuantan and Seksyen 17 Campus Shah Alam.
- Conducive English language programme that equips you and your future. So far, our Alumni Asasi TESL are all over the PHLIs (IPTAs) in Malaysia.
- Financial allowance up to RM1,250 per semester from the Ministry of Higher Education.
- Affordable academic and hostel fees.
- Educates students to become well-rounded where intrapersonal and interpersonal skills will be inculcated through fun yet challenged students’ activities.
- Highly valuable student support programs like MUET workshops.
- Closely-knit community and cultural diversity.
Ana Rafali (Singer / Songwriter), Firdaus Putra (Boonga Studios), Noorhana Ismail (Newsreader / TV Host), Syed Husni Syed Abu Bakar (Fulbright Scholar)
Subject Matter Experts (Lecturers)
|NAME||AREA OF EXPERTISE|
|HAZADIAH MOHD DAHAN, (PROF. DR)||Adult Education, Discourse Analysis, Gender Studies, Teacher's Education, and Sociolinguistics|
|ROSLIND XAVIER THAMBUSAMY||Learning & Teaching Styles, College Learning & Teaching, Teaching & Learning Literature.|
|LIM WAI FUN (DR)||English Language Teaching & Learning, Teacher's Education|
|MARINA MOHD ARIF (DR)||Program Based Learning|
Exclusively, the TESL programs in the faculty of Education has given birth to an extremely dynamic student club named EtHoS! The clubs have been highly active in promoting cultural experience like movie screenings, book circles and drama activities, as well as using such cultural experiences as a platform to perform public service activities. Recently the club has become popular among the local educational industry too, as professional applied drama trainers (called Mavericks), who provides drama-based workshops or programs that promote language awareness or mastery, motivation and teamwork, which made them entrepreneurial students.
"Ethos! is a body of internal association under the Faculty of Education for TESL program in UiTM Shah Alam. 'Ethos' is a name derived from the Greek meaning 'personality' to describe the guiding beliefs or ideals that characterize a community, nation or ideology. But in this context, it is an association where all of the students are ever-helpful, care for each other and work together to strive for the best for the faculty and nation."
The following are some activities that have been conducted by EtHoS!:
- EtHoS! Movie Circle
- Minimalist Theatre Competition
- EtHoS! Alfresco 2.0
- Spelling Bee Competition
Interested candidates who wish to join this programme are required to fulfill the following conditions:
- STPM with 3 principal passes including Kertas Am or Pengajian Am and a subsidiary pass in one other subject
- OR Teacher’s Training College diplomas/Certificates with 5 years experience in teaching English or 7 years teaching experience
- OR Diploma from UiTM or other recognized institutions with a minimum C.G.P.A. or 2.50
- OR ASASI TESL certificate from UiTM with a minimum CGPA of 2.50
- OR Ministry of Education matriculation certificate with a minimum C.G.P.A. of 3.00
- AND SPM/SPMV with credits in English Language (minimum 2A) Bahasa Melayu, Mathematics and credits in 2 other subjects AND
- MUET (minimum Band 4) AND Pass the MEDSI (Malaysian Educators Selection Inventory) written test, physical test, and interview conducted by the Ministry of Higher Education.
Career / Studying Prospects
Graduates of the programme can serve as English instructors in government and private secondary schools or seek employment in the fields of journalism, publishing, broadcasting, advertising and training. In spite of the common misconception that the TESL students from the Faculty of Education, UiTM are mostly to become teachers, in reality, there are many alumni who had become singers, artists, writers, journalists, novelist and entrepreneurs.
FOR FUTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT
B.Ed TESL Programme
Faculty of Education
Universiti Teknologi MARA
Campus Section 17
42000 Shah Alam, Selangor
Tel : 03-55227395 Fax : 03-55227412